The Werribee Islamic Centre is running a national Mosque open day to bring the community together and breakdown misconceptions and misunderstandings of Islam.
Date: Saturday, October 25 2014
Venue: Werribee Islamic Centre, 143 Hogans Rd, Hoppers Crossing
Amid the current political debate about national security, we have been hearing about a recent surge in incidents of Islamophobia.
(The) 'Islamophobia Register Australia has been launched to help capture all incidents of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim sentiments in Australia. The register classifies Islamophobia incidents into the following groups:
- Assaults or attacks on persons of Muslim background
- Attacks on Muslim property or institutions
- Verbal abuse and hate speech/social media abuse
- Unwarranted harassment or interrogation at airports by authorities
- Any form of discrimination in a public or private environment
The Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Sunday 12th October 2014 and elected a new Executive Committee for the next 2 year period.
The AGM attracted a record attendance of member societies, who were presented a report from the outgoing executive team: President’s Report, Treasurer’s Report and General Manager’s Report.
Outgoing president Nadeem Hussain thanked his outgoing team for the time they served together: Mohamad Tabiaat (VP), Ghaith Krayem (Secretary), Eugenia Flynn (Treasurer) and board members Almir Colan, Osama Saad and Ecehan Gulbayrak.
A total of 14 candidates ran for elections:
- President: Ghaith Krayem and Adel Salman
- Vice President: Osama Saad and Bayram Aktepe
- Secretary: Seyfi Seyit, Mohammad Helmy and Faiza Rehman
- Treasurer: Aslam Kazi and Mohamed Mohideen
- Executive Member: Almir Colan, Nadeem Hussain, Mohamed Elrafihi, Khalid Mohamed and Ali Yusuf Ahmad
Upon a close voting, the following candidates were successfully elected:
- President: Ghaith Krayem
- Vice President: Bayram Aktepe
- Secretary: Seyfi Seyit
- Treasurer: Mohamed Mohideen
- Executive Members: Nadeem Hussain and Mohamed Elrafihi
from left to right: Seyfi Seyit, Mohamed Elrafihi, Bayram Aktepe, Ghaith Krayem, Nadeem Hussain, Mohamed Mohideen
Ghaith Krayem, President-elect thanked everyone for their support and attendance and will looks forward to leading the ICV in the next 2 years. He will outline his strategies, priorities and road-map moving forward in good time.
Two more members to the Executive Committee are still to be appointed, making it a total of 8 members.
Congratulations to all the elected representatives and commiserations to the other candidates. The ICV looks forward to everyone’s continued involvement in some capacity.